Cisneros tour + rail road ride + lunch+river bath+ sugar mill
An adventure following the old train tracks. Take a ride through tunnels and bridges across the mountains on a rail cart. Have a delicious typical lunch. Watch the unique sugar cane landscapes. Enjoy a waterfalls bath to freshen up and visit a sugar mill: “trapiche panelero”
Local living, Active Nature, Agritourism, Wellness
Active, Family, Wildlife
- Railroad motor car ticket
- Traditional lunch
- Panela tasting
- The guidance of local bilingual expert
- Private transportation for the trip: A/C, comfortable cars.
- Travel insurance for the dates of your trip
- Authentic Colombian drink, snack or fruit taste
Private small groups from:
$55 USD / 9 + pax
Cisneros Luxury Tour from
Daily Special every Monday
*Prices may vary according to the dollar conversion rate and travel dates. Please click book now for a precise quote and choose your dates and # of pax.
GALLERY FROM THIS EXPERIENCE
- Enjoy the scenic ride using the train track.
- Ride an special vehicle design to use the rail
- The unique view of the sugar cane crops and tropical forest full of butterflies
- Explore the rail paths, the tunnels, and the old stations.
- Taste the “Panela” a rock of sugar is used everyday in Colombian kitchens for juices and a big variety of recipes.
Stay at a private Villa nearby and live the country side life for a day. The place is a horse and cattle breeding facility with beautiful rivers, well preserved forest and a comfortable house to stay. On day two you can choose between a horseback trip around the place or a hike in the forest. You can also take a swim in the water streams, explore the cowboys life hanging around during the daily activities. This a great option for birdwatchers and nature lovers
Please notice due to time limitation this activities are available only for the overnight experience at Cisneros. You can also customize your trip by contacting us.
- Horseback Riding
DAY TRIP ITINERARY NOTES
– You will be pick up at your hotel at 8:00am and head to North East of Antioquia. The region is famous for it´s sugar cane crops , gold and water resources. After a 2h driving trip, you will get to one of the old Ferrocarril (train system) station. The “Ferrocarril de Antioquia” was build in 1929. Its existence changes the history of the region making it one of the most importat for the present time and the future to come. The train service stopped in 1990 and the government is struggling to open in again.
– Starting from El Limón station you will travel 40 min using the rail on a special design vehicle. There is no other way of transportation in this area. This situation, have keep the landscape as it was a long time ago. The forest surrounding the trail is admirable. The mix between endemic nature, the butterflies and sugar cane crops is a surprising constant during this trip. Once you get to the next station it will be time for an authentic Colombian lunch. Next, be ready for a 15 min walk with a bath river reward at the end. The river experience will last around 40 minutes.
– After, you will experience the handcrafted process of one of the most traditional Colombian foods. The workers at the Trapiche will be ready to welcome you. Twice a week in this place people harvest the sugar cane and load in on mules. This strong animals travel trough narrow paths across the mountains and gather outside the trapiche to be unloaded. The sugar cane juice is extracted there using a shredder. The leftovers of the harvest are used to heat an oven that heats a system of pots. There, the sugar cane juice is cooked until it becomes honey and it is ready to make “Panela”. Panela is raw, unrefined whole-cane sugar. It’s a more flavorful and nutritious alternative to refined sugar. The sweet smell during the trip on the rail will always remind you this amazing new experience and you will be back around 5:00pm